LGV horizon 2020
356 156 passagers par an
300 km sans péage entre Vierzon et Brive
2000 ans d’histoire
3 000 nouveaux habitants par an
140 000 habitants
The Changing Shape of the City
Augustoritum, "the ford of Augustus": this was the original name of the city of Limoges, founded by the Romans in 10 BC. With a vast amphitheatre, thermal baths and a grand forum, the archaeological excavations and relics reveal the key status of the city as a commercial crossroads on the banks of the Vienne.
Three centuries later, the population abandoned the initial city and settled on the heights of Puy-Saint-Etienne. After the conversion to Christianity by Saint-Martial in the 4th century, the Cathedral became the heart of the city. A little later, a second town known as Le Château developed around the Abbey of Saint-Martial and the motte. Limoges still has traces of these two urban settlements.
Bringing change to the environment and people alike, the spirit of the Enlightenment influenced the urban planning of the city’s Intendants during the 18th century. Medieval towers, gateways and fortifications were replaced by boulevards, squares and promenades. In 1792, the city and Le Château were officially reunited to become one city.
During the 19th century, the city was shaped by the industrial revolution. Established first on the banks of the Vienne, factories spread north-eastwards and new suburbs were built to house the working population. The Palais de Justice, city hall and Adrien-Dubouché Museum were also constructed at this time.
During the 20th century, the city changed in size. New boulevards and industrial zones emerged in the 1960’s and the city is now home to 142,000 inhabitants, with an urban area of 260,000 inhabitants.
In each issue of the municipal magazine, a history page retraces major historic milestones and remembers the lives of the famous figures that left their mark in Limoges.